Wednesday, December 15, 2010

gratitude

Christmas music got on my nerves this year. I'm not sure why. As I've explained before, we are musical people that constantly have some kind of music going. I usually enjoy the carols and the old standards, just not this year. But, as I lay awake one night this week listening to the Christmas selections from Handel's Messiah, I could not hold back the tears because of the beauty and the message of that piece of music.


I am filled with humble awe and gratitude at what God the Father did for us when He sent His Son. Just a few weeks ago, I had to address some incorrect information that had been taught to my daughter. She was told that God was much more strict in the Old Testament than He is now.


"Oh, no, no." I said. "God is the same yesterday, today, and forever. He didn't somehow become more lenient. He is Holy and He cannot tolerate our sin. He can't even look at our sin. The difference is Jesus. When He looks at you and me, He sees the Blood of Jesus."


Listening to my own voice, my heart swelled with gratitude; the same emotion that had filled me when I listened to the soaring words of the Hallelujah Chorus, "King of Kings and Lord of Lords." It doesn't matter whether He came on December 25th or not. He came. . . . . for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment