Monday, February 1, 2010

kindness

Sometimes doing the right thing is hard. It doesn't feel natural or even appropriate to forgive and show kindness when someone has wronged you. But I pray and ask for forgiveness and mercy for myself all the time.



Already this morning, I had to pay for a Netflix dvd that was destroyed by a careless child. That same child also broke a guitar string on a guitar that doesn't belong to him. One of his cohorts has lost the guitar tuner. The third player in this scenario tries to get by with the minimum daily requirement of work. Even as a mom, I have to show mercy, even though I'm so annoyed that I don't want to speak to them. I have to temper my words.



On a bigger stage, I've been hurt recently so deeply that it feels, at times, like I might not recover. The feeling that I have no worth is overwhelming. Does my heart really matter to you, God?



If I am to follow hard after God, I have no choice but to show kindness to that individual. The hope of drawing closer to Him, of knowing Him deeper, pulls stronger than the desire to be vindicated. He is my Defender. His call is so much stronger that I fling aside anything that would hinder me from reaching the prize.

No comments:

Post a Comment