Wednesday, February 16, 2011

my own little world

I have heard the term, "in their own little world" many times over the years. In recent years, it was used often to describe my sons and their world which included autism. In fact, the phrase was almost part of the diagnostic process. "He's in his 'own little world.'"

I have come to believe that we all create our own little worlds. My husband and I will soon have been married 20 years. It often amuses me when I think about how we have created our own sub-culture. From our entertainment choices, food, clothing, music, books, etc., etc., the list goes on, our family has created its own unique lifestyle. Things that bother me greatly don't affect others. By the same token, scenarios that don't make me think twice cause other people great distress. And so on, and so on.

Observing other couples who might seem odd, makes me laugh because their weirdness is normal to them. They fit together perfectly.

Hopefully, we can all peacefully coexist side-by-side in our little worlds.

No comments:

Post a Comment