Friday, June 26, 2009

Addendum

Yes, in our music history discussion yesterday, we did talk about Michael Jackson.

It is an overstatement, even a cliche' to call him an icon, influencing American culture through music spanning 4 decades. I owned copies of his music, watched his videos, and watched his slow fade into something that many of us could not relate to or recognize.

The term "troubled genius" was tossed around today along with the question, "Which came first, the trouble or the genius?" I would say that the genius definitely came first, breathed into his spirit when he was fearfully and wonderfully made, like us all.

Trouble can either destroy the genius or refine it. In his case, it did both.

I read a posting today from the ElijahList site (elijahlist.com) in which believers were encouraged to pray for the protection and redemption of these "stars." People who indeed have been gifted by their Creator with remarkable abilities. We set them up on pedestals and wait for them to fall. Not me or you personally, but a collective, American culture "we."

Lest I be misunderstood - I don't feel responsible for what happens to celebrities. Sometimes they make really bad choices and reap worse consequences. What I'm feeling is a responsibility to lift up my fellow man.

Is this a sign that I'm becoming an old lady? Maybe, but I don't care. I just don't take any pleasure in watching anybody's life fall apart.

Several weeks ago, we had singer/songwriter/worship leader David Baroni at our church. He sang a song about "Humpty Dumpty." He said the religious people would say to Humpty, "Well, you shouldn't have been up on that wall in the first place!"

Oh, God. Don't let me be one of those people.

1 comment:

  1. Jeannie,

    I think it is a really good idea to teach kids about our music "history". When you write the music curriculum for your kids let me know and I would like to buy a copy of it. We are not as musical as your family but we do enjoy music. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete