Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Autism Stinks

There are lots of organizations that promote autism awareness and groups that raise money for research and "cures." They often have cute acronymns.

I need to make one for my new group - Autism Stinks.

I love my children with autism. I love the people that have been brought into my life because of it. I can now appreciate the traits that have been sown deep into my character.

But the disorder itself stinks. It certainly is pervasive because it complicates everything. I cringe when my children suffer on a daily basis. You'd think after 15 years, I would have gotten over it by now. Nope. Not even close.

I'm not a negative person overall. I'm just tired of life with this stuff.

I can't speak for the Autism Community at large, but only for my family. What the people that live at my house need is acceptance. More than awareness, more than talk of a cure. Maybe even more than funding for therapies and programs (although this is desperately needed, we pay most things out of pocket.)

I just want my kids to enjoy life and not be feared, ignored, or kept somewhere out of sight so that other people won't be uncomfortable.

Is that too much to ask?

2 comments:

  1. Jeanne,
    I was so excited to see you have a blog. I really enjoyed reading this post. As a christian we (I) need to take notice of and be a the forefront of change not just being aware. We love you and your family. I look forward to reading more. Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  2. I googled the words "autism stinks" because it really does. My 18 year old daughter is having a hard time today and I ran across your blog. I am thankful that God understands what I am going through even if others don't.

    ReplyDelete